Dr. Irene Gladstein’s holistic approach to aesthetics can be defined by an elegant merger of medicine and art.
As a board-certified oculoplastic surgeon and one of the top injectors in the United States, Dr. Gladstein’s true passion for aesthetics and her keen eye for beautiful outcomes are the driving force behind her role as medical director at Project Glammers®. Since its inception, the practice would become a leader in medical aesthetics serving the patients of New York City and Naples, Florida with the safest, most effective and most cutting-edge menu of aesthetic services available in the field.
For Dr. Gladstein, there was never any question that her life would somehow lead in an aesthetic direction. In her words, the exciting industry provides a cherished outlet for her to be who she is. Born in Kyiv, Ukraine, Irene displayed a strongly developed innovative side from an early age. The trait must run in the family, as Dr. Irene’s grandfather was a renowned scientist and engineer who developed and patented a specialized welding technique still currently used in outer space. When she and her family immigrated to the United States, she was eventually able to nurture her intrinsic creativity in the bustling cultural hub of New York City.
Although the immigrant teenage years presented significant life challenges, Dr. Irene’s innate creative side would eventually compel her to pursue her passions. She attended New York University School of Arts and Science where, along with her premedical studies, she focused on the history of fine arts with emphasis on the history of antiquities.
While at NYU, she immersed herself in studying ancient Greek, Roman, and Egyptian art. She certainly had access to the best available in the modern world through not only the strong art department at NYU but also very close proximity to the esteemed Metropolitan Museum of Art. Though she excelled in all of her classes, she knew in her heart she needed to go in a somewhat different direction.
Medical school was calling. “I knew that I needed to find something for myself where I would be able to be involved in both the artistry and the intellectual pursuit. Oculofacial plastic surgery was it,” Gladstein said. “I always knew I was going to go into aesthetics from day one. There was never any questions in my mind, because it always resonated with who I am as an individual.”
For Dr. Irene, oculofacial surgery was the perfect marriage of medicine and art due to the extreme level of skill and precision involved. That would ultimately help further her innate proclivity for aesthetics.
“I’m a very precision-oriented individual. I love detail and am a perfectionist by nature, so oculofacial plastics was something that I was instantly attracted to due to the level of detail involved in the surgery,” she said. “It was an instant connection for me.”
Dr. Irene completed her residency at New York University Medical Center and Manhattan Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital then proceeded to complete her fellowship in Cosmetic and Reconstructive Oculofacial Plastic Surgery, where she had a great deal of exposure to aesthetics.
“I was very lucky because, at the time, very few fellowships were cosmetically oriented,” Dr. Irene explained. “My particular program was basically a 50/50 type of fellowship where I had extremely heavy exposure to aesthetics, which was very rare back in 2006. I emerged with a full scope of understanding of the injectable component of the nonsurgical aesthetics in addition to having had hundreds of specialized surgeries under my belt.”
When her training was complete, she, once again, channeled her deep-rooted tenacity and established her own practice in New York.
Project Glammers was born, and it was Dr. Irene’s holistic approach to treating her patients along with her keen artistic eye that would quickly establish her as a leader in the industry.
“As an artist, my approach is to work in mixed media. That means that I am utilizing different modalities and techniques while creating each of my masterpieces. Our treatment plans are meant to be comprehensive road maps to your holistic aesthetic journey,” Dr. Irene says. “The way I curate my practice is by incorporating methods and procedures that I have personally tried, developed, studied and trusted to achieve beautiful, natural and long lasting results.”
With her successful practice featuring multiple locations, numerous speaking engagements, and a family on top of it all, Dr. Gladstein is the embodiment of the American dream. It’s a true passion for it all that drives her each day.
“I need to feel passion. I need to love what I do and be fully dedicated to my craft,” she said. “That’s just who I am as a human being. Since I was able to find this perfect merger of medicine and art, I truly consider myself blessed. At the end of the day, I love treating patients and making sure that the way others practice is artistic yet safe. This field has given me an outlet to be who I am.”
Dr. Gladstein shares her time between NYC and Naples, Florida with her husband and three beloved daughters by her side. When spare time permits, she and her husband develop their philanthropic side by giving back to various worthy causes.
- Bachelor’s Degree, New York University School of Arts and Science
- Doctorate Degree, New York University School of Medicine
- New York University Medical Center and Manhattan Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital
- Cosmetic and Reconstructive Oculoplastics Surgery, Neigel Center for Cosmetic Surgery, St. Barnabas Medical Center, Livingston, NJ.
- Member of the Facial Aesthetic Facial Faculty for Allergan Cosmetic
- Member of Allergan Aesthetics Advisory Panel
- Former President for the Cosmetic Surgery Foundation and served as board member for years
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
Additional Industry Collaborations
- Part of NewBeauty Brain Trust, an exclusive group of beauty professionals specializing in lending expertise and generating ideas for the prestigious NewBeauty Magazine
- Author of multiple articles and book chapters in oculoplastics and aesthetics
- Regularly involved in clinical studies for both new injectables and emerging aesthetic technologies. Recently, principal investigator for FDA study on behalf of Merz Aesthetics evaluating effectiveness and safety of Belotero Balance® (+) Lidocaine for Volume Augmentation of the Infraorbital Hollow
- Founder and Medical Director of Project GLAMMERS® LEAP, an educational and mentorship program for aesthetic providers solely dedicated to promoting artistry and safety of injectable and non-surgical enhancements